Sebastian Merkner went only reluctantly to his office. The self-employed carpenter completed Saturdays always his bills because he could then work undisturbed by the daily business. After a few hours in the room he was nervous and felt like charging. Then there were the headaches and eyestrain. The relationship between the office environment and the discomfort was obvious. Merkner went through the possibilities in his head: Was the beams of the wooden ceiling painted with wood preservatives? Escaped from the formaldehyde glued bookshelf? Was the mastic asphalt under the floor covering of the culprit? The master craftsman brooded for months after the causes of his symptoms.
be vigilant against elektromagnetic fields at work
An employee of an engineering company complained for months about eye problems. In the Eye Clinic Robert M. was tested among other things, a sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. In fact, increased intraocular pressure, after a field source has been turned on in his surroundings. After this diagnosis, a building biologist made on the search for the problem. His order was: reduce electromagnetic pollution in the office.
do research carefully before painting the room
Vincent Kuchler (Stuttgart/Germany) phoned our advice center yesterday. His eyes were swollen and his nose ran constantly. His suspicions focused on the oily stain on the newly installed floor in the bedroom and children’s room. A doctor for diagnosis of his symptoms he had not yet visited. Vincent wondered, however, why the other family members showed no allergic reactions. How could a piece of advice for those concerned to look like?
be carefull with second-hand-homes
Young families often have too little capital to build a new home. Alternatively, see the potential homeowners to the market for second-hand houses or apartments. In the assessment of “used” caution is advised. It may occur many problems that are not recognized at first sight by the laity.
Rapid Exchange of product-news in the EU
Rapex (Rapid Exchange) is an alert system for dangerous consumer products in the non-food area. 31 European countries and the European Commission shall communicate to the fastest means of information to draw risky products from the market. A weekly report can be subscribed to via RSS-Feed or accessed directly on the website. Those who read the messages carefully, place the emphasis on Chinese products. But also from European countries, including Germany, permanent harmful products to hit the market. Some examples to show where the problem lies mainly:
Dataloggers measure the room climate
– The climatology is one of the most difficult areas of science. Air, temperature and electric climate influence each other more or less – and these factors are in turn influenced indoors of building materials, construction and electrical installation. Although cooperating the individual components of indoor climate, it will be discussed for better presentation separately. Now read which components affect our indoor climate.
film strip system
The laboratory team of the Environmental Mycology in Berlin is always good for an innovation. Under the direction of Dr. Christoph Trautmann and Dr. Ingrid Dill the mold experts developed a test strip system for mold detection handling surface contact samples. Their motivation is obvious: The more accurate the building biologist working at the sampling, the safer is the analysis result. Unprofessional sampling, however, prepare the laboratory team a considerable overhead. Continue reading
formaldehyde in an office
Six months ago Anne Hopf took up her new job in a public authority in North-Hesse/Germany. She is sitting in an office space of twenty square meters, together with a colleague. In the room are built-in wardrobes, shelves and many about seventy well-stocked folder. Four weeks ago Anne Hopf complains often of headaches and burning eyes. The colleague of Anne, however, has no complaints. The supervisor has addressed the matter and commissioned a building biologists for root cause analysis. Based on the described symptoms and the existing spatial features, the expert suggests an air sample in formaldehyde.
Regensburg/Germany. This Jens Kugler had not expected. Responding to an advertisement he and his wife bought a weekend property in a quiet area to relax from work stress in the metropolis. The cottage appeared in good condition. The surprise came when Jens wanted to dispose of an old oven at the recycling center. “Oh what, asbestos sheets are installed inside. The oven must be disposed of by a specialized company,” the answer came at the recycling. Thereupon, the family looked closely at the newly acquired buildings.
wood perservatives indoor
The temptation is great. A young family in northern Bavaria discovered a beautiful home in a great location with the right plan at an affordable price. The prefabricated wooden house was built in the seventies. Manuela Brenner has read of problems with these types of houses and caused a dust sample before buying. Laboratory analysis gives a value of 1 mg of pentachlorophenol (PCP) per kilogram of house dust. How is the health risk to be assessed? If the family to buy the house?