Category Archives: indoor airpollution

indoor airpollution

Tar cardboard containing PAH caused odor problems and headaches

naphtalene found in the air of two classrooms

Naphtalene found in the air of two classrooms

Measurement results showed a pollution with naphthalene

In a primary school in Saxony (Germany), odor problems had arisen in two classrooms and in the staff room since the building was renovated. When a new rector took office in 2018, the matter really got going. Ms. Rubens (name changed) not only had a sensitive nose, but increasingly complained of a headache as soon as she was in the staff room. The school administration informed the city administration as the responsible cost bearer. The local building authority then commissioned an engineering office to investigate the indoor air. The measurement results showed a clear pollution of the room air with naphthalene. Since even the guideline II of the German Federal Environment Agency was exceeded with 20 µg / m³, no lessons were allowed to take place in the rooms from now on. A review of the construction plans showed that the school was built in 1964. Therefore, the experts consulted assumed that the building was contaminated. The energetic renovation in 2017 had obviously exacerbated the smell problem. The airtight facade and the lack of controlled ventilation ensured that the pollutants in the indoor air could accumulate more.
Continue reading

Too many pollutants in the carpets

Carpets may contain toxins

Carpets may contain toxins

People love their carpets – 1.8 million tonnes are sold in Europe year after year. This is also the second largest carpet market next to the USA. The market leader today is Tarkett in France, followed by the Balta Group from Belgium. The production of a carpet takes place in several production steps. Each of the work stages uses a wide range of chemicals. The toxins contained therein later exhale into the room air or they are inhaled by the inhabitants as dust particles. Toxic chemicals are also the main obstacle to environmentally sound disposal. That’s why 1.6 million tons land in the waste incineration plant every year.
Continue reading

PCB still causes concern

school building in GermanyIn mid-June 2018 press and television in Germany reported a request from the Left Party regarding a redevelopment concept for public buildings in the Saarland (Germany). The state government admitted that not all of these buildings had been systematically examined for PCB contamination. “The current building stock is not under general PCB suspicion,” says the state government and adds that there is no fundamental obligation for exploration PCB. “However, if refurbishment measures are planned for day care centers, precautionary measures will be carried out in the affected areas on the joints filled with PCBs”. Jochen Flackus, the parliamentary managing director of the Left Party, calls on the state government to develop a concept for the rehabilitation of PCB-contaminated buildings. Flackus points out that until around the 1980s, around 20,000 tons of PCB had been used as sealants in schools, kindergartens and other public buildings throughout Germany.
Continue reading

Carbon monoxide detector as life insurance

carbon monoxid detector

Use high-quality devices to measure CO

The German Medical Journal reports 3,700 cases of poisoning with carbon monoxide (CO) per year, around ten percent of which end in death. Flue gases from poorly burning stoves or gas water heaters are still at the top of the polluter. But also in pellet storage rooms or shisha bars carbon monoxide accumulates in a dangerous concentration. When the urgently needed oxygen supply has to be done, a small electronic device can indicate. However, it is advisable to study the technical data carefully before buying CO detectors. Because the cheaper the device, the longer the response time. With high-quality devices, the response time is less than a minute; with low-cost solutions, it can take up to ten minutes before the warning is given. For users also to note: CO warning detectors must be additionally installed, because the “normal” smoke detector can not fulfill this function.
Continue reading

Search for low-volatile organic compounds

wooden staircase

massive wooden staircase raises suspicion

Benjamin Kramer is looking at his dream house for the second time. A generously cut single-family house from the seventies, solidly built with brickwork and reinforced concrete ceilings. There is not much to complain about. Only the wood in the living and floor area worries him. A massive dark wooden staircase and several ceiling tiles are immediately visible. The attendant expert is feeling the discomfort. After the end of the tour, he therefore proposes that a precautionary analysis of house dust be initiated. Continue reading

Wood preservation glaze as allergens suspected

 2-butanone oxime

2-butanone oxime

Sebastian Merkner went only reluctantly to his office. The self-employed carpenter completed Saturdays always his bills because he could then work undisturbed by the daily business. After a few hours in the room he was nervous and felt like charging. Then there were the headaches and eyestrain. The relationship between the office environment and the discomfort was obvious. Merkner went through the possibilities in his head: Was the beams of the wooden ceiling painted with wood preservatives? Escaped from the formaldehyde glued bookshelf? Was the mastic asphalt under the floor covering of the culprit? The master craftsman brooded for months after the causes of his symptoms.
Continue reading

If the eyes are burning – think of formaldehyde

formaldehyde in an office

formaldehyde in an office

Six months ago Anne Hopf took up her new job in a public authority in North-Hesse/Germany. She is sitting in an office space of twenty square meters, together with a colleague. In the room are built-in wardrobes, shelves and many about seventy well-stocked folder. Four weeks ago Anne Hopf complains often of headaches and burning eyes. The colleague of Anne, however, has no complaints. The supervisor has addressed the matter and commissioned a building biologists for root cause analysis. Based on the described symptoms and the existing spatial features, the expert suggests an air sample in formaldehyde.
Continue reading

Zero tolerance for wood preservatives

pcp indoor

wood perservatives indoor

The temptation is great. A young family in northern Bavaria discovered a beautiful home in a great location with the right plan at an affordable price. The prefabricated wooden house was built in the seventies. Manuela Brenner has read of problems with these types of houses and caused a dust sample before buying. Laboratory analysis gives a value of 1 mg of pentachlorophenol (PCP) per kilogram of house dust. How is the health risk to be assessed? If the family to buy the house?
Continue reading

Long period formaldehyde emission

Formaldehyd indoor pollutionA family from the Bavarian Forest (Germany) has made unpleasant experiences with the longevity of formaldehyde. Two years ago they bought a prefabricated house built in 1975. Initially, the problem did not show up. In the summer was always well ventilated and health problems did not exist. During the winter period dawned residents that something was wrong. The clothes had a strange smell and Ms. Sennerhans plagued a lengthy cold. The analysis of indoor air finally brought certainty: the formaldehyde content in two rooms was above average. Moreover, found the analytical laboratory wood preservatives in house dust.
Continue reading

Avoid thick air in classrooms

CO2-level in classrooms

CO2-level in classrooms is often too high

In assessing the indoor climate in classrooms, the Department of Environmental Protection Nuremberg/Germany can truly have a say. The municipal employees had carried out from 2012 to 2013 series of measurements in different school categories and also analyzed the conditions. The focus was on the carbon dioxide (CO2) in room air compared to the outside air. The relative humidity and room temperature were recorded in addition to the CO2 content with data loggers. In a nutshell, the result shows the following: indoor air quality, which is commonly found in classrooms is, at least hygienic striking. In many cases it is to be regarded as unacceptable.
Continue reading